Ever since I hosted my first New Years Eve house party in Montreal years (and years) ago, the French 75 has become the staple house cocktail for evenings like this. Over the years, the Champagne may have been upgraded. And I occasionally swap out the brand of Gin (it used to only be Tanqueray 10 but not everyone likes the intense nature of it). Here is this years recipe. Make a whole round for your friends (or for yourself), it is the perfect NYE drink.
- 1 lemon
- 2 oz Hendrick’s Gin
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 2 oz Moet & Chandon Champagne, chilled
- 2 maraschino cherries (get the good kind)
- Using zester or paring knife, slice peel from lemon in long, thin spiral. Reserve lemon for another use and set peel aside.
- In cocktail shaker, combine gin, and lemon juice. Add ice and shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
- Drop your cherry into the bottom of your coupe glass.
- Strain your mixture into chilled glass and top with sparkling wine.
- Curl lemon peel around finger to create twist at least 6 inches long. Garnish drink with twist and serve immediately.