This past summer I was invited to attend the Grey Goose Bartender competition on the Toronto Island. I was privileged enough to taste over 20 twists of the classic martini from some of the city’s best bars. I went home very happy and more than a little tipsy. And with a new appreciation for the humble martini.
As today is December 24th, perhaps the most stressful day of last minute shopping. I figured what would be better to come home to than a great martini (or two or three or four). Yes, the holidays are all about drinking your way through them. Here are three great riffs of the martini that are sure to impress anyone – even your WASP-y mother.
The Second Chance Martini by Dale DeGroff
- 1.5oz Grey Goose Vodka
- 0.5 Bombay Sapphire
- 0.25oz Lillet Blanc
- 0.25oz Martini Dry Vermouth
- Stir over ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lemon zest.
The Gypsy Queen
- 2oz Grey Goose Vodka
- 1oz Benedictine
- 1 Dash Angostura Bitters
- Stir over ice and strain in a cocktail glass.
- Express a lemon zest over the cocktail and discard.
Martini 1 by Alex Day, The Normandie Club. L.A
- 2 oz. Grey Goose Vodka
- 1 oz Alexander Jules Fino Sherry
- 1 tsp. Raw White Honey Syrup
- Sel Gris, in an atomizer with water
- Stir until well chilled and strain into a Nick & Nora glass.
- Top with atomized sel gris solution.
For more great recipes, visit Grey Goose.