One of my all time favourite cocktails is an Aviation and one of my favourite places to order one is Bar Tonique in New Orleans. The Aviation was first created by Hugo Ensslin, head bartender at the Hotel Wallick in New York, in the early twentieth century. Here is Bar Tonique recipe. Use it often and use it wisely. Just be careful, this drink can pack quite the punch.
- 1 1/2 oz Aviation American Gin
- 1 tsp Rothman & Winter Crème De Violette
- 1/2 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- 3/4 oz Freshly pressed lemon juice
- In a pint glass, add spirits & mixers
- Fill with ice & shake vigorously
- Fine strain into a chilled cocktail glass
- Garnish with a cherry on a pick
- Drink. And repeat.