If you have never had a Ramos Gin Fizz, one of New Orleans’ cocktail gifts to the world, this morning might be the perfect time to try your first one. Trust me, this is a cocktail made for the ‘before-noon’ crowd. Henry Ramos invented this frothy sensation at his Imperial Cabinet Saloon in the 1880s. Just be warned, it takes a whole lotta shaking.
- 1 ½ oz Hendrick’s gin (or gin of your choice)
- 1 egg white ½ oz fresh lemon juice
- ½ oz fresh lime juice
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 2 drops of orange flower water
- 2 oz cream
- Soda water
- Slice of Orange to garnish (see it has fruit)
1. In a mixing glass, combine egg, juices, flower water, simple syrup, and cream.
2. Shake without ice to emulsify the egg.
3. Add gin and ice. Shake again, vigorously.
4. Strain into a Collins glass (no ice) and top with soda water.
5. Whip gently with straw or bar spoon to encourage the foam.